Skip to content Skip to navigation

Local History Project

Hidden History of Burrington Ham Stories

A number of local elderly residents shared the memories of life on the Ham in the last 70 years. Here are some of them:

Dudley Porch has lived in Rickford Lane since the 1950’s. He recalls the sight of many rabbits as if the hill was moving, and how after the decline of rabbits, trees (particularly ash), have taken over (2 mins).

Dudley Porch describes a visit to the disused Milliars Quarry and the uses of stone on the local houses (1 min).

Roy Hobbs born at Burrington Farm, has lived in the village all his life describes the use of Hill Gardens by the Americans during the second world war to build bailey bridges (1min).